Tomatero Farm Box Soup
When you have more vegetables than you know what to do with after a farm box pick up, soup is a great way to keep the veggies from going to waste.
- 1 med leek sliced
- 3 med carrots sliced
- 3 med zucchini sliced
- 24 oz puréed tomatoes
- 1 lb ground pork pasture raised
- 1 lb ground beef grass fed and finished
- 3 tbsp Italian spice blend
- 1-2 cups beef bone broth
- 10 kale leaves destemmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp basil chiffonade
- sea salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes optional
In a large stock pot sauté the leeks in butter. After they become aromatic and fragrant, add in the carrots, zucchini, bone broth, puréed tomatoes. Adjust heat to medium-high.
While the vegetables are cooking, use your hands to mix the beef, pork, and Italian spices. Form into meatballs and then add to the soup pot.
Cook on medium heat for about 20 more minutes. Add in kale and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
Before serving, top with some fresh basil and enjoy!