Grain-Free Sugar Cookie with Candy Cap Frosting
This recipe is a fun twist on a classic sugar cookie recipe. Candy Cap mushrooms do not taste like mushrooms. As the name suggests, they are sweet and taste like maple.
- ½ cup grass-fed butter room temperature
- 1 egg pasture-raised
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup Otto's Cassava Flour
- ¾ cup tapioca starch
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup grass-fed butter softened
- 3 tbsp Kite-Hill Cream Cheese or dairy based cream cheese
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar sifted
- 1 tsp candy cap mushrooms ground to a fine powder
- 1-2 tsp water as needed for consistency
In a medium bowl, add the dry ingredients and set aside.
Combine the butter and coconut sugar in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment until well combined. Add the egg, vanilla, and coconut milk and mix until well combined.
On a low speed, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until well combined.
Place the dough on a sheet of parchment paper. Wrap up and chill dough for at least an hour.
Dust a rolling pin and work surface with tapioca flour or cassava flour for rolling. Once dough has chilled, roll out the dough and use cookie cutters to form cookies.
Bake at 350° F for 10-12 minutes. Cool cookies on a wire baking rack.
Mix the butter and cream-cheese using a hand mixer until well-combined.
Add the candy cap mushrooms and slowly add in the powdered sugar.
If the frosting is too thick, add a little water and mix. If needed add additional water.
Frost cookies and enjoy!