This soup was created with liver health in mind. Midway through my chemotherapy treatment for Breast Cancer, my liver enzymes were too elevated to continue treatment. We had to postpone treatment for at least one week to make sure that my liver was healthy enough to process the chemotherapy. At that time I was in school to become a Nutrition Consultant and I knew there were things that I could do to “Love my Liver”, so I went home and made some BIG changes to my diet for that week and well, IT WORKED! I went back the next week and my enzyme levels were low enough to continue with chemotherapy. Here is one of the recipes that I made for the “Love my Liver” week.
Hearty Turkey, Vegetable, & Lentil Soup
- 1½ cups green lentils soaked overnight
- 1 jar diced tomatoes
- 24 oz bone broth chicken or turkey
- 2 tbsp grass-fed butter
- 1 med. onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 small summer squash diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 6 med carrots diced
- 6 kale leaves destemmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 lb pasture-raised ground turkey
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- sea salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Rinse lentils and let soak overnight. Rinse again until water runs clear before adding to the stock pot.
- In a stock pot, sauté onions and garlic in butter. Add broth, tomatoes, lentils, and all veggies except the kale to the pot. Then add ground turkey and stir.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Continue simmering for 30-35 minutes. Add kale and cook for about 5-10 more minutes. Serve and enjoy!