Who doesn’t love Brunch? Recreating an avocado toast that we had in Melbourne at Bricklane Melbourne has been on my to-do list since we got back. It was one of the best brunches of my life (although Melbourne was filled with epic Brunches). This brunch is certainly not identical, but I was after that BEETROOT RELISH and Jim and I both conquer that IT IS DELISH.
- Cuisenart Food Processor (optional)
- 1 med onion
- 1¾ lbs Love Beets (about three packs of Love Beets)
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup organic sugar
- ⅔ cup red wine vinegar
- sea salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- If you do not have Love Beets, you can certainly use fresh beets. Just boil until a knife easily pierces and peel.
- Grate one medium onion (I prefer to use my Cuisinart Food Processor for this).
- Grate about 1 3/4 lbs of Love Beets
- Make a simple syrup with 3/4 cup water and 3/4 cup sugar. Add water and sugar to a medium pot on high. Once dissolved, keep stirring and allow some liquid to evaporate. The goal is to create something between a simple syrup and a simple syrup reduction
- Add beets, onions, and simple syrup semi-reduction to a large bowl and mix.
- Add red wine vinegar, sea salt, and pepper and mix.
- Let sit for a couple of hours or ideally, overnight, for the flavor to meld together. Serve with avocado toast, bacon, feta, and a fried egg (or whatever floats your breakfast boat).